Well, I might be getting ahead of myself a tad – considering its more like June-uary here in Seattle this week, but I just have to remind myself that true summer days don’t show up in Seattle until after the 4th of July usually – and any sunny warm days before that, are, well…just an added bonus. In an effort to remind myself that summer really IS coming and to perhaps encourage it to make an early appearance in the Northwest this year, I am gathering up my summer essentials and getting ready for sunshine and heat.
1. First things first – one of my summer staples is the perfect white v-neck t-shirt. Not too tight, not too baggy – just perfectly drapey and a tad bit sheer.
2. Said perfect white v-neck t-shirt will most often be worn with my shoe of the summer – black Haviana flip flops. I love my wedges and heels, but during the summer months, as hard as I try to stay stylish and chic…flip flops and casual wear usually win out. I couldn’t live without black flip flops during the summer.
3. I think everyone has to have the perfect pair of denim cut-offs during the summer too. It’s a go-to for so many occasions. Stylish, all-American and sexy – they complete your summer wardrobe.
4. Hair ties. Because when I am sticky and sweaty and hot during the summer (admit it, we all sweat, people!) the last thing I want is my hair on my neck. These cute ones make my ponytail look a little more chic.
6. Wedge espadrilles – for when I simply must take off the flip flops and go to work, or look half-way presentable at an event. Also, they look really great with….
7. White jeans! I think white jeans are so sexy and so summer appropriate. Now, if I could just squeeze back into my pair from a couple summers ago, I would be set…
8. A cute bikini. This one is a given, is it not? For me, that usually means a J. Crew bikini. My first ever string bikini was J.Crew and I’ve been a loyal devotee ever since. I love that you can mix and match them and they have so many different options – plus, the fit is so spot on.
9. Hot pink nail polish! I change my nail polish every couple of days, to tell the truth, but during the summer, I always come back to neon pink. Its just feels right for bright sunny warm days.
10. Beach perfume from Bobbi Brown. I love the smell of this perfume – its like she truly captured the essence of summer in a bottle for me. It smells subtly like sun tan lotion and that is what gets me. Reminds me of child hood summers and there is nothing better than that now, is there?
11. Cream blush. I just feel like creams, gels and liquids go on my skin so much better during the summer months. They feel more fresh and dewy and are easy to take with you and touch up. This slightly coral one from YSL is divine – it give the perfect poppy hue to your cheeks.
12. Hot pink lip gloss. I always go brighter and more sheer during the summer months – it just feels appropriate, I can’t say why exactly – it just does. I want everything to feel lighter and brighter and less over-powering during the summer.
13. Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray – because I hate blowdrying, straightening and curling my hair when its steamy hot outside. I’d rather wash, spritz and go, leaving perfect beachy waves and just the right amount of messy hair for the day.
14. Maui Babe Browning Lotion – this is the one thing I will admit is probably not the best for me, but I can’t help it. I love it. It deepens and darkens your summer tan and color, and you know everyone feels more beautiful and sexy with a tan. I will use sunscreen too, so not to worry! But yes, I like to lay out in the sun during the summer and I’m not afraid to admit it!
15. Dior Creme de Rose Lip Balm SPF 10 – to keep from getting chapped lips in all the hot weather. And to protect them, of course. I told you I was going to wear sunscreen…
What are YOUR summer essentials? What can you just not live without during the summer months?